Sunday 8 May 2016

Invictus...or trying to keep your spirits up...


I am battling with myself at the moment, I don't want to get all heavy with details as I do not want to be known as the 'miserable blogger'...I don't want to be that guy. ;o)

As we all know misery loves company and I do not think it fair to share mine with you, so in that spirit I will try to be uplifting.
One night last week I was having fitful sleep and as I tossed and turned, lines from the poem Invictus rolled around my head.
Next morning I re-read the poem and began to smile...some part of me, or from outside of me, was trying to help.
I am feeling a little better now, I am in a good place and I am feeling stronger.
We all have those Dark Nights and can find ourselves in a place of sadness from time to time.
I thought I would share the poem with you in the hope that it may help, if you too visit that place of sorrow.



A strange thing happened shortly afterwards...
I was contacted by someone...you know, the type of person who has nothing to say to you for years and years and then sends messages of misery.
If this message had arrived at a dark time for me, I do not know what I would have done.
Thankfully, it arrived later.
And like the poem says...
'I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul...'

William Ernest Henley is still a fascinating character, his life was so full.
He was also the inspiration for 'Long John Silver', (seriously, how cool is it, that he was also a pirate?), Robert Louis Stevenson was his friend and wrote the character based on him, because of his inner strength (it helped that he also had a wooden leg) :o)
Henley's little daughter was also the inspiration for 'Wendy' in Barrie's play Peter Pan.
Margaret would call Barrie 'Fwendy'...sadly she did not live to see the play, but, like Peter Pan, little Margaret lives on...she has become immortal...
What more could we wish for? :o)

So, remember, you are the master of your fate.
You...are the captain of your soul...
And I shall return soon with some pretty pictures...:o)
Bye for now...




5 comments:

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Oh dearie. Were that I were across the sea with you. I'd bring a pitcher of midnight margaritas and we could quote poetry and cry Or spin yarns and laugh. Either would be a balm. xoxo Oma Linda

Dark Squirrel Victoria said...

I was able to see your blog with no problem from my computer, must of been ipad gremlins :)
What a beautiful poem, you thought of this for a reason.

Hugs,
Victoria

Oberon's Wood said...

Linda, poetry and yarns...what's not to love?

Oberon's Wood said...

Victoria, you made it!
Hugs to you too sweetheart :o)

Victoria said...

Esos momentos oscuros los tenemos todos amigo mio pero siempre las alas comienzan a tener fuerzas para volar alto y dejar ese momento a un lado y el corazón late tán fuerte que es cuando se escribe con ese sentimiento que sale de él..Ha salido una belleza de poema!!Gracias por compartirla
Con cariño Victoria