Tuesday, 3 November 2009

The Green Man




I have been fascinated by The Green Man since childhood...
I like to think his presence is felt when we are close to nature...working in our gardens or walking in the countryside or through the wooded places.

He represents wild nature...he hides within his leafy home...the leaves growing from his body and out through his mouth.
He brings nature to life...in effect he is the spirit of nature.
He is an image which belongs to no religion and yet all of them at the same time.
He speaks of birth...of growth...of decay...and of rebirth.
I see him as Mother Nature's consort...her partner...her love.

I have created many types of Green Men over the years...I have made graphs for cross stitch and needlepoint which show different aspects of him...I have drawn him and sketched him...I feel like I know him personally...he is like a friend to me.

In the U.K. many inns and public houses are named after The Green Man...in rural areas and in the cities.
His image can be seen in many old churches and cathedrals...looking down on the congregation...or peeping out from behind screens...he is even carved into the pews.

As a spirit of renewal...his face is seen in many places...usually benevolent...sometimes a little mischievous...always uplifting.

The Green Man which I have painted here is shown as an image of The Oak King...who presides over half of the year...the other six months belonging to The Holly King.

He is surrounded by oak leaves and is bringing forth new spring leaves...but is also turning into autumn with his older leaves changing colour and his acorns ripening.

I hope that I have done justice to my old friend...

6 comments:

Mother's Moon's Message said...

He is beautiful and likewise i agree with you in his discription... You captured his pressence in his eyes I think.... I like it...

Lisa said...

You've done wonderful justice to your green man!!!

Tammie Lee said...

This is wonderful! If we were all in touch with the green man life would be more in balance~

Iris said...

Wow, I really like your paintings. I love the style of the little girls. You have definitely done the Green Man justice. I had no idea he was so universal (I live in the US). I can't wait to see the "Holly King" if you do a rendition (which you should). Very nice style.

Oberon's Wood said...

Thank you everyone for your really lovely comments...
I've hurt my back, so I'm not comfortable painting at the moment...hopefully there will be something new to show you all soon...

Tamara said...

I love the Green Man too, i have a candle holder amongst my plants of him. The picture you have of him on this blog is gorgeous! I did a wood burned Green Man that I use for a pendulum board...it's my favorite one.